Pre-Shipment Health Requirements
IMPORTING HORSES – State of Hawaii
Horses and other equidae must meet the following requirements in order to be imported to Hawaii:
- Originate in an area or county in which equine encephalomyelitis has not occurred in the six-month period prior to shipment.
- Vaccinated with a USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved equine encephalomyelitis vaccine recommended in the area of origin, no less than 15 days before shipment.
- Thoroughly sprayed or sponged with an insecticide approved for use on horses at a concentration that kills ticks.
- Include the following statements on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI):
- Animals are free of external parasites.
- “I personally inspected the horse(s) on this CVI and found them to be free of ticks and they have been treated for ticks prophylactically at the time of inspection with a topical pyrethroid or another equine tick treatment product.”
- Vesicular Stomatitis (VS)
The following statement is to appear on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for all livestock entering Hawaii from States currently affected with Vesicular Stomatitis for the duration of the VS outbreaks.
“I have examined all the animals identified on this certificate within 72 hours of shipment date and found them to be free from signs of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS). During the last thirty (30) days, these animals have not been exposed to VS nor located on a VS confirmed or a VS suspected premises.”
- Equine Piroplasmosis
Effective November 12, 2009 and until further notice all horses imported into the State of Hawaii from States with officially diagnosed cases of Equine Piroplamosis shall be accompanied by a CVI which states:
“I personally inspected the horse(s) on this CVI and found them to be free of ticks and they have been treated for ticks prophylactically at the time of inspection with a topical pyrethroid or another equine tick treatment product.”
- Tested for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) by an USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved laboratory within 90 days of shipment.
- Importer required to have imported horse retested for EIA 45 – 60 days after entry
For more details on importation regulations either call the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s Animal Industry Division at (808) 483-7100 or go to the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture web page at http://www.hawaiiag.org.
PLEASE FAX OR MAIL A COPY OF ALL COGGINS & HEALTH CERTIFICATES TO OUR OFFICE FOR REVIEW AT LEAST 3 DAYS PRIOR TO SHIPMENT AND BE SURE TO SEND THE PINK COPY WITH THE HORSE IN TRANSIT
PACIFIC AIRLIFT, INC.
PO Box 3707
Clovis, CA 93613-3707
|Toll Free:||(800) 797-7820|